Branding Chances Neglected – Mostar 450 Years Long Old Bridge Diving
Why do we Continuously Fail to Recognize Branding Opportunities?
Balkan states and their marketing and branding practices did not bring many remarkable examples so far. The overused and over-elaborated phrase “But there is a huge unused potential” makes us sick to hear in any context, anymore. There are branding chances at every corner you check in the Balkans, but what is the point of having them, when not recognized.
Today, I decided to analyze one of the longest continuous tournaments known to us. Namely, it is an event that lasts for 450 years in a row – widely known Mostar Diving Competition. Mostar’s diving is an event organized in the historical hub of the city, venue of famous Old Bridge (more about the Bridge itself on UNESCO site). One would say – “What a tremendous potential we have.” What a branding chance this is. But…
“Mostar’s Diving Competition is an event that has over 450 years long-standing tradition”
Let’s analyze what is going on currently
1. The fact that we live in the 21st century imposes that having a website and internet presence for promotion is a MUST. However, no dedicated website, no coordinated social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc), no hashtags and not existing online promotion whatsoever. The total cost of launching website with full SM coverage can not exceed more than 1000 euros on annual basis. Mistake number one. To be done as soon as possible.
2. There are tons of sketchy announcement online that Old Bridge Diving is coming soon or already happened (Text 1, Text 2, Text 3, Text 4, Text 5, Text 6, Text 7, Text 8, Text 9 etc.). Good old pal “word of mouth” plays a crucial role in spreading the buzz about an event, instead of the well packed viral message by organization committee. One gets a feeling that event is being organized pro forma. Many times I heard people stunningly talking about the event itself, but whenever I tried to find tangible information from organizers – I miserly fail.
3. As a continuation of the previous dot is a tremendous amount of User Generated Content (videos, pics, graphics etc.) which is available to be utilized for promotion and brand purposes of the same event and of the city of Mostar. You have one shot to guess what is the situation on the field. Chaotic PR appearances without a plan. Be my guest and check it out on you own.
4. Stubborn repetition (in terms of event’s organization). Someone would say “Repetition is a mother of skills and success” – maybe, but not necessarily in branding and marketing. For long numbers of years and decades event itself has been organized in the fairly same fashion (minor occasional alterations). I would suggest organizers to employ so-called Customers Journey Maps in order to find out dots in organizational chain whereby improvements, amendments are possible. The ultimate result should be in form of “wow effect“. Visitor’s wow effect triggers virality which further implies buzz and positive sentiment which continues with even stronger word of mouth. Very well known fact, that word of mouth is far the cheapest but far the hardest to manage form of marketing.
Influential travel bloggers. This is the concept that has been used in Serbia last year with #MySerbia campaign. Deploying influential bloggers (so-called influencer marketing) that have remarkable online reach is one of the best ways to effectively deliver desired content both online and offline. There are many examples of such practices. Sometimes is only copy-paste principle needed, nothing else.
To do list
- Defining the target group event should attract. So far, I could not see anything like this. Moreover, is the event to be promoted for itself or within so-called ingredient branding (under umbrella of city or wider number of similar events);
- Launching functional, updated and appealing website together with logo and graphics. Creating an official hashtag. Full-time community management on social networking sites;
- Setting up a base of professional PR announcements (crisis PR is a must) which goes in line with general marketing goals. No ad-hoc improvisation is allowed. Amazing crisis PR coming from Emirates plane crash;
- In order to enhance word of mouth and use abundance of already existing UGC, official #hashtag should be widely communicated;
- Employing Customers Journey Maps and working on how to engage emotions and positive sentiment around the event;
- Employing travel bloggers to spread the vibe. Many travelers and tourists are keen to follow their recommendations.
Metrics-wise, this sort of approach should bring more visitors/tourists and increase brand awareness of the event and Mostar itself. This is a result which is relatively easy to measure. However, more incoming tourist would have to eat, sleep and go out in the Mostar’s premises. You guess, city and citizens of Mostar would gain benefits. You can count on that. If still not assured, have a look onto official EUROSTAT statistics which says that EU tourist spends on average 90 euros per night on accommodation plus additional 353 euros for optional activities.
Remarkable Dose of Courage and Skills Needed
Red Bull Cliff Diving as from 2015
As mentioned, there is potential waiting to be fully recognized and well developed. However, this potential has been recently recognized by energy drink provider- Red Bull. We don’t have much to say about the quality of branding, marketing, promotion and PR bubble that Red Bull creates. Absolutely astonishing. They did an amazing job with organizing event “Red Bull Cliff Diving” last year. Feel free to watch below short video they produced after 2015 event.In conclusion, I would like to apologize for a slightly longer article than normally associated with this blog. Moreover, I would like than someone from organization committee and donors read this and realize how much money is needed for branding and promotion in Internet age and let’s hope for more exciting events happening around Mostar and its wonderful Old Town.
In conclusion, I would like to apologize for a slightly longer article than normally associated with this blog. Moreover, I would like than someone from organization committee and donors read this and realize how much money is needed for branding and promotion in Internet age and let’s hope for more exciting events happening around Mostar and its wonderful Old Town.
It’s about time that potential that exists sees its marketing and conventional justification and that branding chances like this, experience full utilization.
Or, should we wait, someone from outside to come and enlight us?
Stay tuned, more stories around the corner.
More From Balkan Marketing Stories
Inspirational Box Fintech Marketing Challenges and the triumph Anida Krajina, spreading good vibes from the Balkans 12th June 2017In my humble opinion, every business needs some marketing. Some need more, some less, but it does not change the fact that the marketing...read more
Out of the box Eye-tracking experimenty pomáhají pochopit spotřebitele Anida Krajina, spreading good vibes from the Balkans 1st of June 2017 Učinila jsem prohlášení tam nahoře. A vím, že řeknete – ok, eye-tracking experimenty pomáhají pochopit spotřebitele, a co?...read more
Cutting Edge Why defining a Buyer Persona is important BH Telecom & Ultra Tourist case study Nikola Kožuljević, writting cautionary tales from BiH 22. May 2017 One of the great goals of marketing, and every business actually, is to appease the customer - to...read more